Sunday, November 4, 2012

Comedy Fight Night winner is addicted to laughter


For Comedy Fight Night winner Bilal Muzaffar, making people laugh is addicting.  The Microbiology and Psychology major does stand up in his spare time, and recently won the Union Programming Board event that allows up and coming comedians to display their talent. 

“Laughter takes both people outside of the general now framework of reality even for just seconds,” Muzaffar said.  “I’ve made friends with people thrice my age even just because I made them laugh once.”

Muzaffar’s self-deprecating humor was obvious in the way he joked about whether or not he should have another cupcake as he spoke about his experiences as a comedian. 

This year’s event was the senior’s third and final time to participate in the Comedy Fight Night, though he said he does not think it will be his last time to do stand up comedy. 

“For me the dream is just to get that 30 minute special,” Muzaffar said.  “I don’t need to get a movie. I don’t need the TV show.”

UPB Comedy Chair Jacob Oller said that Muzaffar’s professionalism on stage gave him an edge over the competitors.

“I think what Bilal had over the other comedians was how comfortable he seemed,” Oller said. “He had mentioned that he had performed before, which let him go onstage with more confidence in himself and his jokes.  Not to mention his jokes were hilarious.”

Oller, a management information systems junior, has participated in the event in the past, and said that many students use the Comedy Fight Night as a way to showcase their talents.

“My favorite part of the event is getting these awesome people the recognition they deserve and a stage that they might not get a chance at otherwise,” Oller said. 

Muzaffar said that he no longer feels as nervous as he did when he first started out. This was his third year to participate in the Comedy Fight Night.

“I think at the beginning of every show there’s always a flutter I guess but as soon as I get on stage, all I really remember is like getting on stage and then people clapping as I get off and I’m like, oh, I guess I’m done now,” Muzaffar said. 

No matter how much he rehearsed, Muzaffar said he found that spontaneity was the best advice.

“The problem with a lot of stand up comedy is that the worst thing to be doing is to talk at the audience,” Muzaffar said.  “You want to talk with somebody.”

Muzaffar said he originally planned to become an actor while at OU, but that his busy microbiology schedule kept him from being able to pursue acting full time. 

“I got stuck with characters who were like kind of those sillier characters, you know, comic relief,” Muzaffar said.

Muzaffar substituted stand up comedy as an alternative to acting, and did a web series with his friends that aired at a film festival in Czechoslovakia. 

Though Muzaffar said he does not think he has offended anyone with his jokes yet, he said that offending people is not one of his fears.

“Comedy is always funniest whenever it’s taking risks,” Muzaffar said.  “Nobody really laughs at a safe joke.”

For now, Muzaffar said he plans to continue pursuing stand up comedy in his spare time, though he also plays the ukulele.

“I’ll definitely always keep it open,” Muzaffar said.  “For now I’ll see if I can get into med school or something and maybe be a doctor comic.”



No comments:

Post a Comment